Meet the owners of Andover and Blaine FXB


When did you join FXB, take over ownership?

Amy & Brian:
Brian and I started FXB in the very first session, in the Blaine location, in January of 2011.  I did my 10 weeks at 5am and Brian did his at 6am.  We had 8 people in our 5am 10 week class….on a good day, sometimes there were six of us!!  I started instructing in April of 2011 and we opened the Andover location in October of 2012. During our second session in  Andover, we had a record-setting 170 new sign-ups!  We took over ownership of Blaine in June 2013. 


What is your favorite kickboxing move?

Amy:
Jab, cross.  It is such a great exercise for your core!  I also like hooks & uppers!

Brian:
Jab, cross, hooks and uppers.


What is your favorite healthy snack?

Amy:
I love eggs, almonds and raw red, yellow and orange peppers.

Brian:
Protein Bars from our gym.

Tell us about the favorite thing you experience during a typical week at FXB?

Amy:
The people for sure!  Being at the gym really is my happy place!  I love instructing.  I like having fun with people, pushing them and seeing them gain strength and confidence!

Brian:
The best thing I experience in the gym, on a weekly basis, is lives being changed.  This comes in so many different forms.  People are getting in better shape.  People are feeling good about themselves, which changes their relationships with family, friends and co-workers.  I love that people come to the gym to gain more confidence in themselves.

What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened while instructing at FXB?

Amy:
I had the microphone get wrapped up in my underwear one day!  (Don’t even ask!?!)

Brian:
While instructing one time, I was showing how to do a right round and fell down in front of everyone!

What is your favorite activity your family does together to stay active?

Amy:
I live with all boys, so I play a lot of knee hockey, baseball and basketball!  I also like hiking, so we occasionally take a few trips up to Northern Minnesota for that also!

Brian:
My family is very active in youth sports.  I coach my boys in multiple sports and it is a great way for all of us to get together and be active.  Also, our boys are both involved in our youth program during the summer.  It is a great way for us to bring our family into the gym without it being work all the time!

What is your favorite indulgence during your “cheat meal?” 

Amy:
Salt & Sugar… I love “Truffle” Fries and Oreo Cookies!

Brian:
Pizza.

What type of music do you prefer to workout to?

Amy:
I like a mix of Alternative Rock & New Pop music! It varies a lot on my mood too!

Brian:
Blink 182.

Shoes or no shoes on bag day?

Amy:
I prefer no shoes.  I feel more stable when I can feel the mats!

Brian:
No shoes.  I clean the floor and I know it is clean!

What strength training exercise is the most challenging for you?

Amy:
Push-ups are my favorite!  Triceps Extension from knees is my most challenging exercise.

Brian:
Lat raises, or seated cross-reverse flies.


What are some of your hobbies outside of the gym?

Amy:
I love watching my boys’ sports;  hockey, football & baseball and anything outside!  Running, Hiking, swimming, boating.  I love to read fiction when I have free time.  I always write up my own review after I read a book.  Some of my favorites include:

Lovely Bones-Alice Sebold
Even Now-Karen Kingsbury
Wicked – Gregory Maguire
Sharp Objects – Gillian Flynn
The Ezekiel Option – Rosenberg
The DaVinci Code – Dan Brown
The Forgotten Garden – Kate Morton
Barefoot – Elin Hilderbrand
Twilight Series – Stephanie Meyers
Girl with A Dragon Tatoo – Stieg Larsson
Hunger Games


Brian:
I love sports, both watching and playing them.  I also like to pheasant hunt and love doing so with my boys.

What would you like your FXB family to know about you?


Amy:
From the moment I started my FXB journey I knew it was different; everything about it.  It is so much more than a gym. I have been a member at so many gyms. In college I lived with a personal trainer who really worked with me to get me in good shape but I still wasn’t committed to going six days a week or committed to eating better, to be healthy.  The wonderful thing about this program is, that it is for everyone, young, old, in-shape, out of shape.  Everyone pushes to their Level 10.


People that walk through those doors are my peeps and I want everyone to leave feeling better about themselves.  My wish for every person who walks through those doors is to leave better… feeling better, stronger, healthier, more confident and that they can accomplish anything they put their heart and mind to.

Brian:
Owning a gym is so much more than just owning it for me.  I love that we have met so many friends.  I honestly look at all the members as friends. The gym is our second family. Our gyms are unique and we love this!  There are days when I just need to come into the gym (after my day job) to just see people.  It is truly rewarding for me to be a part of FXB.

Amy and Brian are both from Aberdeen, South Dakota.  They have two boys;  Sam, age 13 and Jacob, age 10.

Amy graduated from Augustana with a Bachelor's degree in Government and International Affairs.  Brian graduated from St. John's University with a Bachelor's degree in Government.